Fall 2023 Update
I have an opening for EMDR therapy for trauma. Please read on or schedule a brief phone call to see if I might be a good fit. Perinatal Support Washington is a good source for other WA perinatal therapists and Therapy Den and Inclusive Therapists are other therapy directories.
Issues I commonly address in therapy:
- Problems with mood, including depression and bipolar disorder
- Anxiety, intrusive / scary thoughts, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Trauma and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Parenting and bonding difficulties
- Identity transitions, roles, and losses
- Challenges with body image and disordered eating (from a Health at Every Size ® and fat liberation framework)
Therapeutic approaches I draw from:
- Relational psychodynamic training
- Attachment therapy
- Somatic therapies including Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) & Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP)
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT)
- Mindfulness-based practices
I specialize in therapy with adults with perinatal mood and anxiety disorders like prenatal or postpartum depression or anxiety, including working with individuals who've experienced postpartum mania and psychosis; adjustment challenges related to fertility, pregnancy, birth, and postpartum; and difficulties with bonding. I am sensitive to the needs of folks struggling with infertility, individuals considering abortion or needing to terminate a pregnancy, and those who've had miscarriages, stillbirths, and pregnancy losses. I've worked with adults of all genders, and birthing as well as non-birthing parents. This specialization means that I have additional education, extensive experience over the last ten years in this particular area, and a certification in perinatal mental health. It doesn't mean that we only talk about issues related pregnancy, birth or parenting, or that I only see people during this period of their lives.
Sometimes I share knowledge, sometimes I sit in silence with you. Sometimes we practice a skill, sometimes I encourage you to do less. I'm a calm presence in the therapy room, but I admit I have no poker face and I'll share my perspectives about how experiences of oppression, including racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, fat stigma, etc can be traumatizing and affect our health. Ultimately, I hold space for the ways in which larger systems and oppression affect us and seek to understand your experiences, strengths, values and challenges knowing that you are the expert on your life. I believe that we find healing, strength and resilience in connection — therapy might be one part of that, and healing also often happens in formal and informal groups, in our families, and in our communities.
Questions about whether I might be a good fit? Schedule a free discovery call by clicking on the blue button.
If we can share our story with someone who responds with empathy & understanding,
shame can’t survive.
- Brené Brown
A few quick facts about therapy with me: